Wendland and Associates - Premiere Ranches and Estates

Fort Lancaster

Fort Lancaster is 33 miles West of Ozona, Texas and 8 miles from Sheffield. It was established in 1855 by the United States Government as a protection to travelers and mail on the overland trail from San Antonio to San Diego. It was abandoned in 1861, but reopened in 1868 for a short time.Several forts were established along this route for protection for pioneer settlers, adventurers, California-Bound gold seekers. Even camel troops traveled this road in spite of frequent attacks form Commanches, Kiowas, and other Indians.

7 miles south of Fort Lancaster, was the Escondido(Hidden ) water hole. A small, deep well in the side of a rugged canyon. This water source was very hard to find, but saved the lives of many travelers.

Ozona, Texas is the county seat for Crocket County and was named for Davy Crockett who died fighting for the Texicans in the battle of the Alamo on March 5, 1836. Crockett County is the 8th largest of 254 counties in Texas and covers over 3,000 sq miles. \\"The Biggest Little Town in the World\\"

 

 
Home | Terms of Use | Properties | Search MLS | Financing | Buyers/Sellers | About Us | Contact Us
© 2007 WendlandUSA.com, Inc. All rights reserved. | Sitemap Design by Agent Image - Real Estate Web Site Design